Saturday, January 14, 2017

#WIP-ing away-- sneak peeks of the pieces for my "Cact-tea Collection," accordion book zine coming out this spring

  Anyone who knows me knows that my love of Cacti is pretty strong.  I love drawing them, I have made books and stories based on cacti and cacti-like animals (anyone want a hedge-hug? heh, moving on), and-- I'm posting since I wanted to share with the world some art samples from the newest accordion book/zine I'm working on, which is botanical illustration and cacti- based.  I'm doing a ton of these illos and getting this printed at the end of next month.  w00t!


In the past, I've always used super bright colors, Prismacolor, and Winsor Newton or Copic Markers to do my botanical illustrations-- but this new project is totally different.  While I'm using Watercolor, I'm calling it the "Cact-tea" (ba dum bum ching)  collection," as all these Cacti I'm drawing also are using natural materials.  In there, I've used espresso, beet, tumeric, and of course, Chai, Matcha, and other teas.
Can you guess which pigments of these were natural, which were paint, and which natural pigment produced which color?  Below, please scroll down to see my Red-Top Cactus, Succulent, and Echeverias.  I'll spoil the one above-- it's a Queen Victoria Agave, done with watercolor and espresso.







No comments: