Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy New Year! Hope Everyone's 2016 is shaping up to be Ama-Zine

Happy New Year, Everyone!

I have been very busy of late, but to start the New Year off right, I am posting new works and works in progress!

I've spent the past six weeks in New York.  Even though I go back and forth frequently, I usually can only stay for a week or two.  But this time, I got a longer time off to go see family, from work in L.A.

Anyway, I have been inspired-- both from my travels, from the city I've adopted/the one that can't quite shake me yet, old activity books I've found in my Mom and Dad's house that were mine-- and adult coloring books!  So, this year I am creating and self-publishing my own Color-Zine book. Work in Progress shots are below:

I'm going to put Activities in this book, as well as Games/Facts.  It can be kept intact, or, cut apart for the games/activities, and so when you color in the images, you can then display them with your own coloring work!

It will cover fun facts and information pertaining to both L.A. and New York, and be accompanied by drawings that Grown Ups who are Kids at Heart can color in!  Even kids too.  And, hopefully everybody will be able to learn something (-:  Above is a character from the Color-Zine who has lots of hidden facts about both sides of the Country.  Some more touristy things are easily recognized, but I'm more excited for people to learn about lesser known but cool things (i.e. the Felix the Cat statue near USC).

Below that is a girl inspired by the Huntington Gardens, and a Princess/Witch full of Magic.  And by Magic, I mean she'll be accompanied by an Activity (can't tell yet, it's secret!) having to do with learning about Succulents.
Next is the girl from the book who will have facts about Long Beach, what people (who are out of towners, or locals) can do when visiting the city-- and most importantly, will have an activity about Aquatic Life!  Her outfit is comprised of Jellies, Coral, and her pets/spirit animals are Weedy Sea Dragons.  Honestly, stop everything and go visit the beautiful Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach.  They are great for animal conversation of Marine Life, and Weedy Sea Dragons are the most magical, Giant Sea Horse Esque creatures there are.  This activity section of the zine encourages people to visit said Aquarium, while making clear what their hours, activities, and so forth are down there.  
And finally, I am working on the cover of my Color-Zine.  The original is being colored in with these amazing markers I discovered at the CTN Expo, called "Winsor and Newton Pigment Markers."  They're pricey but worth it!  Coloring books usually have a colorful color to give some inspiration.  But I hope everybody colors in the Black and White NYLA girl however they see fit.


More soon, and Happy 2016!




No comments: