Monday, January 18, 2016

Creative Tuesdays, "Home is Where the Heart Is"


Here is my submission for "Creative Tuesdays." and the challenge of "Home is Where the Heart Is!" I've been working on an illustration all about home/places/both my homes.  I've made different version of it. so I am submitting the version of it for this challenge that is in color, and includes hearts. Some are suspended, and some are attached to things, as per the specifications of this challenge.

I am originally from New York (suburbs of NYC, although I far prefer the city), live in California, and go back and forth frequently. So, I have two homes, two places, two sets of people. Home is where the heart is, and mine is split between each side of the country, so this challenge feels especially apt for me right now. If home is where the heart is, sometimes it feels like I have several homes, and at other times no homes. I guess with difficult goings on in life, and with house issues and repairs, it can make the idea of home seem lonely. But I know I am lucky and do not mean to whine. A lot is happening in my mind too, so, guess my blog is reflecting my wandering thoughts.

I am working on a grown up coloring book, so, another version of my cities/homes and heart piece is below. I colored it with my new Winsor and Newton pigment markers, which I love, but liked the black and white version as well.

Anyway, you have time to sign up, until Tuesday January 19th! Go to the most recent entry at Mister Toast's blog at www.creativetuesdays.blogspot.co.uk to enter your image at the link (-:

Hope you are all well, Happy New Year, and may your Homes and Hearts be Happy!




14 comments:

linda (dots n doodles) said...

Donna, this must have taken an age to draw as there is so much detail. I love this and showing both your homes to, which also gives us more of an insight into you. Very clever!

linda (dots n doodles) said...

I've just looked at your drawing again and have noticed the eyes, again very clever. There is just so much to take in.

Christine said...

Stunning details Donna a really nice piece!

Tammie Lee said...

such a creative piece
full of wonderful details
enjoyed clicking on it and seeing larger

craftydvl said...

Thank you all I really appreciate it! The end of 2015 going into 2016 has been a crazy and rough one for me, so, my Internet fellow artist friends and kindnesses mean more to me than I can express <3

Janis Cox said...

Donna,
I too divide my time between two homes - Canada and the US. We are snowbirds who fly south for the winter. It's hard to put roots down in Arizona but my roots at home are much deeper. I am finding my Internet connections are becoming a type of home as well. Blessings to you on your art work. This is a very intricate piece and I love the colouring page.
Janis

Wanda said...

You have captured home with so many tiny details. And isn't that what a real home is....lots, and lots of tiny details that show love and make it a home.

BTW Where do you live in CA...Northern or Southern?

Tracy Campbell said...

Oh wow, Donna, look at all that fantastic detail! I could never do that. I am so very happy to hear you are also working on a coloring book. I love both the color version and the black and white. And the face on your girl really draws me in. Fabulous work!

lissa said...

love this, so many details. I don't know about california but you got new york right. great take on the theme.

have a lovely day.

Michael said...

Dear Donna, I/we have missed you here! In fact, I was jsut saying to Alexandra that I was worried about you as I hadn't seen anything from you for ages (somehow missed your last blog post apparently?) I hope things start sorting them out for you a bit more for this new year and with that, a special thank you for even finding the time to do this incredible and very detailed piece. It is so wonderfully introspective too. Quite illuminating really. I love pieces like this. To make it all the more intriguing, when I first saw the picture above, I immediately though how perfect this would be for one of those adult colouring books--all the rave now! You are so clever to have actualyl done that. BOTH the BW adn coloured in one look great. I love all the details and before reading anything instantly saw it represented both your home on either coast. I actually really appreciate too that you didn't even take the obvious landmarks of NY but showed some more unique parts too, yet there's the subtle nod to bot skylines in your eyes too. Brilliant. This is truly a labour of love for you. I hope it a calling card to the life ahead for you as well. Thanks again, Donna. Great write up.

Michael said...

I added comments now to my piece, btw. Forgot that! Oops.

Grantham Lynn said...

Fabulous detail. Great work. Thanks for joining CT.

Helen said...

Very creative - love all the detail in the painting. Wonderful! Happy CT

Alexandra said...

Donna, so lovely to see you back at CT! Hope you're doing well and a lovely illustration of home is where the heart is, to boot! :)