Sunday, April 12, 2015

Happiness for Creative Tuesday: Bright Colors and Kawaii Fashion


So, this theme for "Creative Tuesdays" is happiness.  And not necessarily long-term happiness, but, things that make one happy in the moment.  

Bright colors make me happy, both looking at them and painting or drawing with them, and so my submission for C.T. is one I've worked on for a class I'm taking, because making this picture has been something that makes me happy.  Plus, the imagery in it is connected to things I find cute/like to look at, which create a fleeting moment of happiness and a smile, even though it may not be as profound as something like meditating.   I also like working with mixed-media, and it made me happy to do that for this piece (using Prismacolor, watercolor, gouache, and acrylic).

Plus, looking at the prints and designs in Japanese pop culture fashion (called Lolita fashion) is something that I find fun, even if not a huge happiness in the zen, overall life and meaning sense.  So, another part of this happy picture I've created has to do with being lighthearted, and fun.

So, looking at Anime Images/Fashion/Bright Colors are what makes me happy, for this theme.  And creating them, too-- and it's more about it being a fun art piece, than necessarily one which illustrates something serious.

This is going to be cut up and turned into a handmade book, which can then be taken apart to form this poster image on this side.  Should be interesting to see if it works.

(Also, Koalas and Puns, especially this one of "Koala-Tea" that I use all the time make me happy, but that I found too big of a happiness for the small moment/temporary themed happiness of this challenge-- and marsupials/Australian animals in general-- the things in this image that aren't Koalas are Bilbies, which are endangered, and a sort of combination of a Rabbit and Bandicoot).

And now, it's time for links!  If you want to see everyone's entries for "Happy," head on over to Mister Toast's Blog!  He's the great guy behind this very fun collective:


Take care, and hope everyone has a happy week.,

7 comments:

lissa said...

I like the bright colors too, & there are a lot of things to look at in this piece, I like the koala bears and their teacups, it's very cute. great CT entry.

hope you have a lovely day.

Michael said...

Donna, great job here. Very happy and bright for sure. Bright colours totally make me happy too. I love that. Great idea. Love your details too like inthe shirt part. Are those macaroons too? :) I already knew you like anime and lolitas so that;s cool too. your book idea sounds very..novel. :) You must let us know how it goes.

I really enjoyed reading your post too and was so happy to see this tonight as I thought perhaps you woudl not get anythign in for this theme as I hadn;t seen anyhting when I posted mine. So glad you did!

Now, as yours was also a last minute entry, you might have to go visit others to let them know you got yours up when leaving a comment for them. I do hope others take the time to see it as this is really very special and very you. Hey, wait a minute, that girl even look like you!?

Thanks again for playing along.

linda (dots n doodles) said...

Love the addition of all the koalas doing different things and a very happy piece indeed with all the bright colours.

Christine said...

Gosh this IS a happy piece Donna, I really like it.

Tracy Campbell said...

Hi Donna, I love all the bright colors. And your painting is full of wonderful details. :-)

Alexandra said...

You definitely have a love for koalas as you often place them within your illustrations. This is a fun piece and I LOVE the pops of red throughout it. :)

Janis Cox said...

Donna,
One of my favourite things is colour. Today I bought an hibiscus plant with bright red flowers. Can't wait for them to bloom. They may only last a day but when they bloom they shine through the room. I will probably paint one too. Your painting is awesome not only for the colour but just the joy you can see in it.
Blessings,
Janis