Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Final Yearly C.T.! Favorite Pieces of 2014: One from Creative Tuesdays, One Otherwise

Hi Everyone!

So for today's C.T., I am going include two pieces: My favorite piece of the year not posted to C.T., and my favorite piece of the year posted to C.T.  I know Mister Toast said ideally the piece could be from C.T., but could also not be from C.T. if it was just a strong yearly piece, so, I've gone ahead with both.

First, here's my new piece.  Well, not new, but new for C.T.!  This is "The Sengi Shrew in Thai Elephant's Clothing," and probably my favorite little illustration of the year (he's also now on my business cards).  I did him with watercolor, and Japanese Pentel ink brush pens.


Sengis are these really cool little African Mammals.  I saw an article about them in the spring and was blown away with how interesting and cute they were.  They're Elephant Shrews, but genetically, they are actually more Elephant than Shrew, despite being teeny itty bitty.

So, I decided that I had to draw one.  I started drawing him while getting food in this L.A. Restaurant called "Leela Thai," which is amazing decorations and art featuring eleborately dressed Thai elephants.  I thought this little African Elephant Shrew would look neat in Thai Elephant's Clothing.  So, here he is hanging out in finery (maybe he went overseas to meet his larger Thailand based cousins), and also using his trunk to play with a teensy Lotus Flower.

And next, is my favorite piece that I submitted to C.T., for the theme of "I want to go...!"



I am honestly tied between this as a favorite, and the one I did last time with the "Shar-Pei Diem" pun, but this one was a ton of fun to make, and I love Australian Animals.  So, the punny "Wom-Batter Up" Wombat won.  I also was thinking about this piece as I sold the original at the Holiday Fair I did at one of the places I teach at, and it was fun to have this happy little guy go off to a home where he can inspire the little boy he was a gift for, to play ball :-)

I never get to blog as much as I'd like, but C.T. is an inspiration to blog, to make work, and to check out amazing stuff being done by other artists.  I've probably said it before, but that's one thing I really like about the Internet.  The possibility to connect and have a happy supportive community of web-friends making art, even if you are all too far to connect past the pixels of a screen.  Anyway, I'm really happy Michael/Mister Toast has been running the blog again this year, and I'm honored to get to be a part of the collective and post on the very cool themes ^_^

So, here it is as my favorite 2014 C.T. submission!  Perhaps these unusual little marsupials and other creatures I draw can all come up in a future drawing :-) I do have an idea for a future project involving all Aussie animals, but then again, it's also exciting to discover cool animals worldwide (such as the African Sengi).  Maybe I should suggest one of these ideas as a C.T. theme for everyone :-D

And now, without further ado, here are some links!

It's Tuesday of this challenge being due, and it's down to the wire, but if you are running late like me you can still submit at the link below:
http://creativetuesdays.blogspot.com/2014/12/my-favourite-ct-piece-of-2014.html 

Here is the Creative Tuesdays overall link:
http://creativetuesdays.blogspot.com/

And here is my link to my website, with the patterns and fun animals section, which showcases both of the little dudes I posted about above:
http://drawdvl.com/sample-prints-and-patterns.html

Thanks for reading, and hope everybody is well!  Merry Yearly End!  (And many virtual hugs for you all)

Love,

Donna

8 comments:

Christine said...

really cute pieces Donna, I've never heard of a sengi! neat.

Lady Lilith said...

I can see why it is a favorite. The details are amazing.

Janis Cox said...

Adorable pictures.
Blessings,
Janis

lissa said...

both are new to me as I was off and on with participating in CT but both are quite cute. I especially like the outfit for the Sengis, which is a creature I have no idea existed.

always a joy visiting you, hope you have a sweet day.

Wanda said...

Both are darling, but then everything you share is. I like these two very much.

Michael said...

Donna, wow, you are right, Sengis are totally cute as is your sweet drawing. Awww. I have never heard of them before so had to look it up...and, for that matter, that Thai restaurant that has a wonderful gallery. I can totally see your art in there actually. It would be a great fit.

Yes, I remember this baseball piece well. It's funny and well drawn too. I can totally see why you chose this one. So awesome you sold the original too.

You know, this entry reminds me that I really need to chose an Aussie Marsupial for a theme one day. Keep your eyes out for that. :)

In the meantime, thank you for the kind words.Of course, I wholeheartedly agree with you about such co-op's merits. you are one of the contributors who make it so fun.

Have a jolly cozy christmas, Donna!

linda (dots n doodles) said...

Just love your Sengi Shrew, he is so adorable with his special clothing. I am always learning about new animals on your blog and you give them so much character as well! Looking forward to meeting some new ones in 2015.
Seasons greetings to you Donna.

Niina Niskanen said...

These animal illustrations of yours are just adorable. I've never heard of Sengis before but they do sound very interesting animals. Tiny relatives of elephants. Little vompat is also lovely. Happy Holidays Donna and inspirational new year 2015