Monday, November 10, 2014

Recap: "Dork Diaries Of A Wimpy Kid" Workshop at the Burbank Library, and Designer Con!

Whee!  So, I"m too tired to go into detail about all of it, but, the summary is: I did a workshop for kids at the Buena Vista Burbank Library (teaching them how to write and draw comics) on Thursday November 6th, and then on November 8th and 9th I tabled at Designer Con in Pasadena.

These events were both super fun, and I am le tired.  So, I"ll do a quick photo recap of what went down.

Whenever I teach, I give the students printed out little books that are self-published zines, which I write and do the drawing tutorials for.  We read along with the text and the pictures together, they work on the lesson, and then they have a little book to take home at the end of class.

Below are a couple of sneek peak examples of the lesson the kids did at the Burbank Library, which focused on character designing.


All that text is c. 2014, written and produced by me, Donna Letterese, etc.

Anyway, the kids did a great job, and it was a ton of fun.  I love teaching in the afterschool programs I teach at regularly, and getting to do library workshops is also great.  Jenny Darwent and Donna (another Donna!) were wonderful librarians, really sweet and great with the kids, and lead the first hour of the program splendidly.  The first hour was focused on the kids learning from the "Dork Diaries" and "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series and making their own comic journals, and the second hour was spent with my teaching them the character design/newspaper comics lesson.


They were nice enough to let me keep the giant poster that was printed out for the event, and it really was an honor to do it.  My name is on the poster, and it's a little hard to see in this photo, but it's there ^_^

And next, is my (even quicker) recap of D-Con!  It was a lot of fun, overwhelming (but not in a bad way; in a 300 vendors way), and a sensory overload.  It was both the first time I had attended and tabled at it.  At some point I am going to be writing up a recap for it as a guest blog for the Academy of Handmade (a really cool handmade/makers guild I recently joined).  

But until then, I will post this little photo collage of me at my table, and a few closer up shots of some greeting card-toons I had for sale, some original works, and some Polymer clay toys/Marsupials.

Thanks for checking out my blog, and until next time.

No comments: