Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"Red Apples" for Creative Tuesdays!

Hi everyone, eep, nearly forgot to submit this!  Been so busy with health things and changing life and then also working, I almost forgot to get this in.  But I had a great time doing this "Red Apples" challenge for Creative Tuesdays!

I decided to do a character design, of a girl with an apple inspired ensemble, apple scrunches, and an oversized (and ultimately, shrunk and edible) apple in her hand.  I decided to size this "Extra-Large," so my apologies if both my images below go a little bit outside the blog frame.




I may or may not have mentioned this online, but in addition to my own cartoons and drawings, I also teach at different afterschool programs in and around L.A., where I live (I visit home to NY pretty frequently, and would love to do a workshop there, but have not yet had that chance-- would be fun).  I teach kids how to draw comics and cartoon art, and it's a lot of fun!

Anyway, I always write a lesson for us to go over, and this is from my latest lesson on "Character Design," which means coming up with how a character will look in your comics and/or illustrations (and the next step is then making up their story, name, backstory, background, life, so on).

Character rotation is very important, since you need to know how they'll look from every angle.  I had to draw a human character as an example, and as it's "Back to School" time, I thought it would be fun to have my little character be Apple themed.  I literally spent ten hours working on writing my lesson plan this past Sunday, and she was the final drawing/design I made.

Usually I only show this to my students, but below is a sneak peek/screencap of a bit of the lesson's text, along with this girl character.



So, there you go!  I hope you guys have fun with my little educati-stration.  Or is it an ills-ucation?  Ehh, neither of those were my best puns (and I usually pride myself at my bad joke and wordplay abilities).  This was a fun challenge, and I love what everyone else did, too!  

Incidentally, given health changes I am eating apples like a fiend (although more often the Green Granny Smith's than the pure Red; occasionally I'll have a Gala Red/Yellow), so I doubly enjoyed this.

Without further ado, here are some links!

Here's the link to Creative Tuesday's Overall Blog, run by the fabulous Mister Toast, and posted to by a variety of really cool people and artists:

Here's the link to submit to "Red Apples," while there is still a tiny amount of time today!:

And lastly, I have yet to update my actual site with my educational drawings and writings (I need to get on that), but I'll link to my Instagram in case any of you guys are also on IG and would like to follow along on one another's progress/art posts:

That is all, and thanks so much for this theme/for everyone's awesome participation!  Internet collectives like C.T. make me really grateful for how the web makes the huge distance of the world not so spread out and communal afterall ^_^

7 comments:

Christine said...

nice apple interpretation, thanks for the tips.

lissa said...

I can see this as being very useful when creating a character.

that is a very cute outfit. & I like the way her hair is held by red apples (?) accessory. great take on the CT theme.

thanks for your visit, hope you have a great day.

Wanda said...

It would be a pleasure to be a student of yours. Love the different views and your narration. Excellent post for Apples.

Michael said...

A Very informative post indeed, Donna. Yes, I've read that before with cartooning--you've got to make sure you can show him/her at various angles and being consistent so it's believable. Calvin and Hobbes and Peanuts come to mind, here.

Anyway, I so loved your little piece's details--the sweater, hair ties, etc, all saying APPLE. Perfect. And cute. Thank you for getting this in on time!

I didn't realise you taught kids. If you are anything like your flow of words, I'm sure it all comes very naturally, right? Wonderful.



linda (dots n doodles) said...

What a great post Donna! Love all the apple details you have added to her. Done very cleverly without overpowering the whole image. You seem to be one busy lady and I bet the kids love being taught by you.

Alexandra said...

I really like her apple attire. VERY very clever. You always know how to make us smile with your illustrations. :)

ChrisJ said...

Like the idea of all different viewpoints. Wish I had taken art lessons, now after all these years, but for now I get my lessons from other people's paintings.