Tuesday, July 8, 2014

"Pig" for Creative Tuesdays!


Hi everyone!  Above is my initial submission for the Creative Tuesdays challenge of "PIG!"  It's done in a looser, more cartoony style than I sometimes work in, but I've been playing around with this (and I think this style works good for one panel, gag-cartoon images where the image should be clear-er to read, without too many distracting details like I sometimes am prone to use).

I sketched this out with a brush pen and filled in with Le Plume (like Copic, alchol based and not water based) markers.  My "Pig" piece has to do with the phrase "When pigs fly," which people (or other animals, I am sure) don't think ever happens in real life.  My silly cartoon has a Pig, actually, doing just that, while being confused at seeing a Pink Elephant, who is in turn confused at seeing the Airborne Swine.

A tiny Pink Mouse is also sneaking up, and has no idea what to make of the scene.  Maybe they were all born bright pink.  Or maybe the Elephant and the Mouse wandered into a vat of paint.  Either way, these animals are all a little skeptical of one another, but I'm sure they'll eventually get over it and play together. Maybe if Piggy is strong, he can pick them up and fly them places.

I just got the aforementioned Le Plume markers over the weekend while attending an Anime convention, and they are often used for cartoon and comic illustration.  So, I thought it would be fun to do a little scene for this C.T. submission in a comic-y format, and put these markers to good use.  I also converted the illustration to a Vector style, to see how it would come out looking more digitally:


I'd wager nearly the same, except the vector would have looked much better if I'd either not colored in the grass and sky I think, or if I'd done it in watercolor, as you can see the lines of the marker in this version.  Oh well.  Living, learning, and verrrrry gradually figuring out the whole digital aspect to art :-p

And now, without further ado, here are the links to the great Mister Toast, and his blog/Creative Tuesday Challenges!

To submit to the theme of "PIG," make sure you do it today, the eighth of July!  Click over to this link to do so:


To check out Mister Toast's site, please go to:

And for Creative Tuesdays overall, please go to:

Hope everyone is doing well, and looking forward to seeing lots of cute Piggies for this challenge :-D



5 comments:

Christine said...

fun pig cartoon!

TwinkleToes2day said...

Love it muchly! :D

MMm.. said...

Donna, have i ever told you just how well you write, esp for someone still so young?! Really amazing. I LOVE reading your words--great stuff. As it is, yes, I got the story line and irony here right away. Hahha. Fun.

you know, I've never seen the reason to vectorize an illustration and like this one, I usually prefer the original though these are really close. When I use vector (for logos mainly) i always just start in that program in the first place, often referring to a little thumbnail sketch idea or something. Good luck with all that! Keep it up--the art AND writing! you are so good at both.

P.S. I did have to chuckle at keeping it simple with less "clutter" as you might call it as I tend to have the opposite problem--too simple and not enough details like you do so well. :)

Alicia C said...

Haha I love this! I love the collective amnesia/identity crisis ocurring, as well as the pplay on old sayings! The round frame make it look like inside a fish tank which makes it even odder. Well done!

linda (dots n doodles) said...

Super fun cartoon which doesn't need any words to explain. My first reaction was that they were in a goldfish bowl as well. Love the less is more asepct.