Monday, June 9, 2014

Birdcages for Creative Tuesdays

Hello All!  I will be brief; just writing to show I did two pieces for this week's "Creative Tuesdays."  I did one looser and free-er sketch that is somewhat downbeat in nature.  And I took one happy card I'd done with bird-cages, and turned it into a graphic pattern.


Above, is my first, looser sketch.  Called "Freelance hourly bird," this little birdy is dreaming of going outside, but even in the bird economy he works by the hour, is up late working on the computer with coffee, and very much stuck inside his birdcage if he wants to be able to earn enough to finally leave his nest and get himself some birdie seed.


And on a cheerier note, is the pattern I created out of an old Channukah card!  The girl is feeding seasonal cookies to her rooster and chicken friends, and some of them are in pens/the chicken version of a birdcage.  I digitally cut out the image, repeated it, and included a border with hearts and the Star of David.  As you can see, these little birdies and the human are happier, more upbeat, and less reliant on caffeine than the first birdie in a cage that I sketched for this challenge.

Thanks to everyone for taking a look!  I am very swamped like now like my little bird drawn in the first brush-penned image, but I am looking forward to viewing everyone's lovely pieces when things calm down.

Please check out Mr. Toast's blog:

And go here for more of this Creative Tuesdays "Birdcage or Birdhouse" theme, and to submit by tomorrow, June 9th:


7 comments:

Wanda said...

I think we can all relate to your little bird pecking away at his computer, wishing he was fancy free eating seeds and sipping lemonade. HaHa

Really a cute sketch. And your happy one, is just that happy.

Nice job for CT.

TwinkleToes2day said...

I like the happy, colourful picture, but I really like the first one because of it's drawn style and expression on the birdie's face and the wee laptop is adorable and he's holding his coffee cup and the dream bubble outside the cage. All of it. Wonderful :o)

MMm.. said...

Donna, this is great. Awww...I adore your lil' bird. Want to give him a little rub on his head adn say it's going to be Ok, you'll make it! :) Haha, it's funny as I so pegged you'd do a bird cage but thought it would be more like the bottom one (pattern) with a girl holding it or something. I like the bird cage boxes too for something different even if done earlier for a card.

Can't wait to see what you do for the next theme and would enjoy reading your thoughts on it tomorrow. Thanks for playing along with these excellent additions. Chin up, you too will fly! :) We believe in you, here.

ChrisJ said...

I do like the first one because it conveys emotion and movement. I think of movement because it's something I think brings a picture alive and I've been trying to include movement in my pictures recently.

linda (dots n doodles) said...

i love this interpretation and the thought of a little bird being trapped by work as so many humans are. Lovely sketch.

Katie Hone said...

That bird working for freedom is so like real life, it's really quite sad but very true. Great metaphorical drawing!

Christine said...

very thoughtful takes on the theme Donna! Yes the first one is sad.