Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"Retro" For Illustration Friday



So, for this week's "Illustration Friday submission," I'm submitting an ink and watercolor illustration I recently finished entitled, "A Bilby, and Quokka, and Dingo, Oh My!"



















They are Victoriana-styled marsupials, which I felt was appropriate for the theme of "Retro."  I took care to design their costumes according to that old-fashioned and retro period, and even their toy (the hobby horse) is vintage and not one you'd see as readily available nowadays.

I've had vintage children's books with Edwardian or Victorian-styled costumes cats, dogs, rabbits, and other more immediately recognizable creatures-- and they always inspired me.  But one thing I've been working on lately is a theme of Australian Animal Illustrations.  Finding those in Victorian costumes is a little harder.  And in my illustration, these three are either less known, or less appreciated, creatures of the Outback (for once in my life, not a Koala to be seen)!

The one riding the hobby horse is a little Bilby girl.  Bilbies are a sort of rabbit-like rodent with a mouse nose and tail, with bunny ears.  In Australia, they're endangered-- so people are encouraged to buy Chocolate Bilbies to support the "Easter Bilby" (and not the bunny), as proceeds from said chocolate go towards saving the animals.

The Quokka has gotten popular recently in memes for being cute and smile-y looking in appearance, and mine is smiling while eating a cookie.

And lastly, is my Dingo, the second girl of the group.  They have a bad rep, and can be violent (they are similar to wolves and coyotes), but they are wild creatures and they can also be beautiful- and they play an important part in the Australian ecosystem.

Plus, the great thing about cartoons, illustrations, children's illustrations, comics, and any kind of made up story-- is that realism can be suspended.  Perhaps my Dingo is like the Sharks from "Finding Nemo," but without a chance of relapse.  She's a Vegetarian Dingo who loves her little friends and wouldn't eat them :-p  To paraphrase "Finding Nemo," "Marsupials are Magnificent- Not Meals."

In any case, I'll have prints of these for the comic-con, "Special Edition NYC," coming up in June.  June 14th and 15th at NYC's Javitts' Center.  Got to finish some more comics and prints before that show!  So many things, so little time.

Finally, for links:

To submit to this week's topic of "Retro" for "Illustration Friday," go to:

To see the section of my site with this piece, other patterns/designs, and more Australian Animals, go to:

And for an introduction to neat Aussie Animals, go to:

Thanks for reading!  Hope everyone has a great week.

No comments: