Monday, May 12, 2014

Oak Tree for Creative Tuesdays


So, here's my first C.T. submission in a while!  I'm so glad it's back, and I missed seeing everyone's work, being inspired by themes, and being excited for each time Mister Toast would come up with a different prompt..

My piece this time around is a little different stylistically from what I usually do.  I tend to go heavy on cross-hatching and details, and I wanted to do something a little more free.  So, the above is a sketch I did with Pentel Brush Pens, mostly, and a couple of markers I had in my bag from teaching earlier.  It was a lot of fun, and next time I will use watercolor paper.  The drawing paper I used was quite thin, and pulled a bit with the weight of the ink.  Anyway, I tend to work in super small and thin lines, so for a change of style/less wear on my hand, I let my wrist go free-er for this drawing.

Obviously these oak leaves are stylized, but I wanted to get the feel of the leaves (hence the quick and freely rendered lines), and to include acorns.  There are a few places the acorns are hidden.  And the bark also has hidden things (as hiding animals in bark is something I love to do, and submitted for a C.T. theme a while ago- I'm hoping to create more drawings, either like the one above or the one in the link below, featuring animal characters and neat hidden things):


Anyway.  Since 2013 I have had more dealings with raccoons than I can comprehend.  They are so cute, but so destructive, and ever since my experiences having to help re-home some, I find they're popping up everywhere in my own drawings, and also my life- I have now endless sightings of raccoon children's books, toys, advertisements, and I even noticed a raccoon change-purse in JFK when recently in NY to see family.  But, I know from experience they like to climb Oak Trees.  So, in my Oak Tree, one is snoozing, and the other is thinking.  It's a little hard to guess since it's cryptic, but he's thinking, "Aw," and then there's a picture of an acorn in his thought bubble.  So, that's a pun where he's saying "Aw. nuts."  Since the other one took his favorite spot and is sleeping in it.

In any case, it's now time for some other links!  

Here is the link to submit to "Oak Trees" for Mister Toast's Creative Tuesdays (due Tuesday May Thirteenth):

Here is a link to my site overall, where random raccoons can also be found:

And, finally, below is a link to Alexandra of Blue Chair Diary's Etsy, where her art can be bought:

 She is an amazing artist, with inspirational and sweet watercolors that are rendered with fine ink lines.  She is also married to Mister Toast!   I wanted to link to her Etsy so people can not only see her work, but support it.  She deserves all the love and support possible right now.

Hope you are all well, and looking forward to talking to the longtime C.T. members again, and meeting some new ones.

Hugs,

Donna

8 comments:

Wanda said...

Your oak tree illustration brings a smile, with those cute and clever raccoons. Love the brilliant colors, and the twists and turns in the tree trunk.

Nice job...

Laurie M said...

I love it and I love the Racoons, I think it was wonderful for you to give links to everybody,

lissa said...

I like the shapes of the tree and acorns and it's does seem very freeing/freestyle-like. sometimes I think what we want to put down usually doesn't come out the way we wanted, so letting our hand or brain do the walking is just fine.

hope you have a great day.

TwinkleToes2day said...

This is so very clever! I am quite impressed by the hidden acorns and forest critters. :o))

MMm.. said...

Donna, sooooooo fun having you back here and reading your marvelous descriptions! Yes, definitely a bit different for you with those broad lines. As you can see from my own piece here as of late, it's good to try to do things a bit differently sometimes. I think the little fellow is saying, "Aww shucks!" as in shucking an acorn! :) They are certainly darling, aren't they?

I enjoyed re-looking at that other piece a while back too and leaving a comment there as well looking at your site. Your black and white drawings are amazingly intricate. Wow. Love that NY one. It's amazing seeing what someone can conjure up in their mind and how they choose to portray it with their own unique signature.

Oh, and of course your comment re Alex was too sweet. Also, love love love to read how anyone with this co-op gets excited to see wht the new theme will be. If you ever want to suggest something, feel free. :)

linda (dots n doodles) said...

Love the strong image of the tree and the softness of the racoons. Great to see you back at CT as well.

Alexandra said...

Donna, I'm humbled by your sweet post for me and all I'm going through...and Mr. Toast! It's truly been a day-to-day process. Some are good, like today and some are bad, like yesterday. The dr. says it's going to take a few months to recover, unfortunately.

Anyway, what a cute illustration. I just love your raccoons. They're perfect. :)

Alicia C said...

what a great tree, and awesome raccoons! You're right about how fun it is to come back to CT!