Tuesday, June 25, 2013

"Moving" for "Creative Tuesdays"

So, my "Creative Tuesdays" submissions keep matching up with things I am working on!  A while ago, I was finishing a story for an anthology that was about the Russian Revolution of 1917.  For the same company, and a different anthology, I have been working on a different story I just finished.  It was written by Ray Goldfield, and focused on a boy and a girl's first love experiences meeting at the Jersey Shore.  She's a local, and he is a visitor for the summer, and he sadly has to move home to the city at the conclusion of his beach vacation.  

Below is a sneak peek and my C.T. submission.  While finishing the story's drawings, one of the final scenes made me think of this C.T. challenge as I worked on it.  Particularly the phrases, "I have to go home," "I have to move home," "We only moved in for the summer."

In my personal experiences, moving is great, but it can also be very sad.  Particularly when making a new friend, and then having the friend go off from whence they came.  It's bittersweet to stay and see a friend go home, and it's bittersweet to move home after an extended stay somewhere (a vacation, a study abroad, and so on).  I thought a lot about those things and about moving when doing this panel, where one protagonist waves goodbye while the other stares back at his friend in the distance.

I can't spoil the story as I did not write it, but I can say that it is a great story and it has what I thought was an uplifting ending.  I had to do a lot of research on the Jersey Shore's boardwalks while drawing it (although it's not shown in this panel), and that so much of the photo reference was post-Hurricane Sandy made me sad.  It was an honor to draw a nostalgic story showing a place that had been so beautiful and lively before that took place.
 
And as always, here are some links!

Below is a link to the publisher involved in publishing the "War" anthology as I mentioned previously, and then also the "Cities" anthology (discussed regarding the Jersey Shore story above):

And most importantly of all, here is the link to submit to Creative Tuesdays!  

Interested creators have up until July second to submit something for the "MOVING" theme:

Thanks for popping by to check out my blog!  I have been crazed, and need to sit down and go through everybody's entries for this entry still, as well as last week's great Alphabet challenge.

5 comments:

TwinkleToes2day said...

Visiting from Creative Tuesdays - Wonderful picture. You are so very talented :0)

Christine said...

This is a great take on the theme, I almost expected to see a tear flowing from her eyes.

linda (dots n doodles) said...

Donna, your comment on moving is so perceptive and true. I have often thought which is the best position to be in, the one going off or the one remaining. The drawing, as ever, is first class and sums up exactly your comment. Perfect!

Wanda said...

Oh I could sure feel the emotion in the drawing. Especially the girl, I almost shed a tear.

Good contribution, and enjoyed your narrative too.

Alexandra said...

This is really good; lots of great detail! :)