Monday, June 17, 2013

"Alphabet" for "Creative Tuesdays"











Above, you can see the banner that I made for Creative Tuesdays!  I did it part by hand and part digitally in the computer, using characters from a comic story I recently did called "Colonel Koala and the Mechanical Marsupial."

So far it's a little comic about a "real" teddy bear (kind of like the Velveteen Rabbit, but with a Steampunk bent and with Koalas), who is being followed around by an actual biological Koala, for potentially nefarious purposes.  For this "Creative Tuesdays" challenge, I made a banner to showcase both characters.

The patterned, repeated Koala is the Mechanical Marsupial (teddy bear-- um, I mean marsupial).  The one who is hiding and watching behind part of the "M" is Colonel Koala.  The Mechanical Marsupial is sort of alive in parts of the story, but sometimes he's like the "Toy Story" characters or Hobbes from "Calvin and Hobbes," in that he will lie still and act like a toy without any consciousness at all.

And yes, for anyone who is vaguely familiar with anything I do on the interwebz, this banner (and the comic it stems from) are all inspired by Fuzzles the Koala.  He is a plush toy of mine that pops into my work, and I'm making it a point to have him do so more often.  Hence, the comic in part inspired by a mechanized version of him.

I have seen many illustrators do a great job of drawing the entire alphabet, but my heart is pretty firmly attached to these little Australian guys (whether in the wild, at a conservation space, or in plush toy form), so I knew I would either go with K for Koala or M for Marsupial.  I am glad I went with "M," since I could re-do the banner at some point to also include Wombats, Kangaroos, and other critters.

In any event, the submission date is tomorrow, June 18th!  Click below to submit to C.T. for this fun theme.

http://creativetuesdays.blogspot.com/2013/06/alphabet-inspirations-pinned-up.html

Thanks for reading!  Hope everyone's well.

8 comments:

Christine said...

YOu've done a great job with this, very nice!

Teri Casper said...

Really cute and a great idea!

Alexandra H said...

This is VERY very cute. Nice job. :)

ChrisJ said...

Lots of creative thinking here. Great job/

lissa said...

interesting choice, though I've never heard of Fuzzles the Koala. fine job with the banner.

hope you have a sweet day.

TwinkleToes2day said...

Visiting from Creative Tuesdays - ver unusual & creative idea :0)

MMm.. said...

No worries there, Donna--sticking to a few or even just one letter was fine and it looks like you had fun with it. Yes, Ive seen you refer to your toy before. got to love it. and ESPECIALLY got to love your writing here: "(kind of like the Velveteen Rabbit, but with a Steampunk bent and with Koalas)"! LOl. that is so funny. you crack me up. Well done! Thank you so much for your write up and addition here. :)

LittleGreenGuy said...

Oh I love that you chose Marsupials that is such a unique word for the letter M!