Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"Trio" for Creative Tuesdays

Missed last week's C.T., boo!  But happy to back for this week's entry for the theme of "Trio!"

I have been MIA, in life and in blogging, with assignments.  But happily, I just finished one task (drawing a comic story), and part of it coincided with the theme of three.  So, here is a sneak peek!


















I cannot say too much so as not to spoil (and the as yet un-digitally-lettered bubbles are helping me not spoil), but here are two panel peeks from a story I drew for an upcoming Anthology.  The theme of the book is "War," and the story I was assigned to draw centers on Russia's internal struggles during WWI.  Specifically, the 1917 Petrograd (now Saint Petersburg) Bread Riots/Revolution.

One of the main characters is a young adult, pictured in the white coat above.  In this scene, a trio of friends have gathered to discuss their problems and upcoming strategies.  I won't say more, but it was a very fun and educational comic to draw (lots of research on the history, costuming, and buildings of Old Russia!), and I was happy that working on it coincided with the C.T. theme.

And now, for links!

Here's an article on the very cool girl, Erica, who wrote the aforementioned story about Russia:

Here's a link to the publisher involved in publishing the "War" and other anthologies:

Most importantly, here is the link to submit to C.T.!  Follow the site rules; you have until the stated time on May 21st to submit something for the "Trio" theme:

Thanks for reading, and sending everyone good wishes thrice over :-D

9 comments:

Wanda said...

My goodness, how intriguing. You are one talented lady, and always come up with the most interesting and unusual way to illustrate the theme. This time is no difference. Really good.

I've missed a couple weeks too. Life seem to get in the way. But I'm back and will post my next week.

Abigail Davidson said...

Visiting from Creative Tuesdays--Wow, what a cool interpretation of trio! Love your style of illustration and the sense of mood from your work.

MMm.. said...

Intriguing indeed, Donna and welcome back to CT. Lovely too that your art worked for trio of all things! Perfect. YAside from being so well drawn and loving the bW details, I had an idea jsut from looking at it that it was set in Europe around this period, if not a bit later .In fact I though it might be Crystal Naght. Anyway, great job! Would love to know what they are saying but for now will leave myself with just ideas. :) Interesting links, as always, too! Thank you! So glad you;re back, plus, you know, you need it for getting enough entries to qualify for the giveaway coming up. So...don;t miss anymore for next 3 themes, ok? :D

TwinkleToes2day said...

Visiting from Creative Tuesdays - Incredible drawings indeed. and sporting two sets of trios (apologies if I missed more). First time visiting you, I look forward to seeing more of your work :0)Mo

linda (dots n doodles) said...

This is obviously going to be a superb comic Donna. The detail you have gone into is amazing together with all the research you have done. First class!

Teri Casper said...

From CT. Love the work you did and the inspiration of black and white.

Cat Beringer said...

so well drawn! they look like wood block prints. Love your style.

Alexandra said...

Great trio! What fantastic detail you have here. I can't imagine how long it took you to create this piece. Well done. :)

Christine said...

Interesting take on trio!