Wednesday, July 4, 2012

"Simply Cute" for Creative Tuesdays

Yay, so excited for the "Simply Cute" challenge! (-:

 Below, I'm posting a piece I finished at the end of the spring this past May of Twenty-Twelve, with little forest animals, creatures that I myself always find cute. It's a bit of a blend between North America and South America, as one of the little critters is mostly from the latter (But can be in the southernmost, westernmost part of the former). Below, check out "The Fur Tree." Yup, that's a pun. Two versions below, with the second one being the final!




The final version is the colored one, but I liked the B/W one very much so I kept a scanned copy. Curious to know which version people like, or would be more drawn to as a print. I feel like the colored one pops, and in that sense works as a print, but the B/W one could be cool if printed on paper that was possible to color in, for a child perhaps.

In any event, could anyone guess which animal was the one from a different region?

...

Ding ding ding!  The Coati, on the right hand side, who is a type of raccoon that dwells in the Southwestern United States, and then in Central/South America, from what I recall.

I first saw one at the L.A. Zoo recently, and he was the cutest.  Coatis are long nosed creatures in the raccoon family (whose noses move around when they sniffs for things).  The one I saw in person seemed comfortable in the enclosure, curious enough to come right up to the people.  His nose moved all over the place, leading him to walk in different circles and paths depending on how it guided him.

My heart is divided on zoos.   I think they need to exist for the conservation of animals, particularly ones that will get hunted, and those with a great conservation effort I think are doing invaluable services.  Of course, unfortunately, there are also some zoos that are more about the displays than the animals themselves.  And as much as I love being in such a close space with all these wonderful animals as a zoo-goer/animal lover, the fact that some do not do well in captivity, and/or humans are not always respectful enough of their needs, and are too loud/glass banging when visiting, makes me feel torn and sad.  Unfortunately, when the other option for some species is to be in the wild and be at risk for being hunted and poached, I think there's a better chance for them to be treated kindly, both by keepers and zoo-goers, and for them to adapt to the as-closely-as-possible-but-still-recreated environment they're given.

In any case, here is the link to submit to the upcoming "Simply Cute" Creative Tuesdays Challenge, July Tenth!

http://creativetuesdays.blogspot.com/2012/06/our-blog-buttons-and-new-theme.html

Check back on that date for everyone's posts on "Simply Cute."

Thanks for reading, everyone!  And, Happy Fourth to anyone stateside doing anything.  Have fun, be safe, and--speaking of animals-- snuggle your pets if home when fireworks go off and they get scared/unimpressed (-:

13 comments:

Christine said...

very thoughtful post about zoos and cute painting, I like both versions!

Wanda said...

So cute, for sure. Each animal is depicted so perfectly. I love the little Tree House and the Door.

Also, your narrative about the zoo and animals was very interesting and full of feeling.

LadyCat said...

I really like both versions, but agree, the color does really pop.
I feel the same about zoos. I think they are good for animals that wouldn't survive in the wild. But I have a twinge of sadness for some, that should be out in their natural habitat. Sometimes they just look sad.

Betsy Brock said...

I think I like the black and white! It's really wonderful, too...so many things to discover while you look. I love that as opposed to something very simple.

Fred Rutherford said...

Very nice. Not to steal Targets new tagline, but color really does change everything. Been something I've been playing with for awhile now, and I still find it amazing how the addition of colors alters an original yet still holds much of it intact, tough to describe. But very nicely done here, and the write up is fantastic. Great job. Thanks

Heather said...

oh wow, this is just full of so many wonderful details! I had fun looking at it!!! and definitely CUTE

Christie DescribeHappy said...

I see what you mean about the black and white version. It steals my eyes and I want to just take in all the details, but at the same time the color really brings the whole thing to life.

Alicia C said...

I agree - i have trouble going to zoos - but your piece is marvelous! had to click on it bigger just to see it more!

MMm.. said...

I'm so with you on zooz, dear Donna, but oh i so love the intricacy of these incredible pieces. Took the whole two weeks, most likely! Wow, the BW one allows me to see that the leaves bunched up are themselves animal faces but teh colour one does pop for sure, so I can't decide. Maybe i choose the colour version then asI love to see how the artist depicts the hues in their mind. Love that door, for example.

Hey, i got the right animal but I thought it was a kind of anteater, not racoon as is the one on the left. how amazing. FATASTIC job, Donna. I am seriously impressed. Loved your write up too. TY>

MMm.. said...

i gave you a shout out on latest post btw. TY again for your effort here. impressive.

craftydvl said...

Wow thank you guys for all your kind words! And Mister Toast, I am touched by the shout out :-D I did a lot of work on the piece and spent quite a bit on the little curled lines and details of the animals, so I appreciate the recognition very much :-D Thank you all so much again --!!

linda (dots n doodles) said...

Wow, there is so much to look at and surprise you in this. Love your line work as well.It must have taken ages. Fabulous!

MMm.. said...

Donna,

glad you linked to this again. It was great to re-look at after reading your oak tree description. It really is a fun piece. I loved and love the hidden charms/animals throughout. :) It would be fun to see you do more of those.