Monday, May 14, 2012

Double Post! "Everyday Happiness," for Creative Tuesdays (Ink, Hearts, and Clown Art), and "Art With Heart," for I.A.

Because both C.T. and I.A. inspired me in a way that came together, I'm submitting a singular drawing for both.

For Inspiration Avenue peeps, "Creative Tuesdays" is a blog run by the amazing "Mmm," a.k.a. Mister Toast!  The blog once prompted themes bi-weekly to be posted on Tuesdays, and now prompts themes weekly that can be posted at any day, so long as it's posted by Tuesday.  The full details are here:


For Creative Tuesday peeps, "Inspiration Avenue" is a blog run by a wonderful Etsy team, that comes up with new themes every Monday, as well as sponsors challenges and other giveaways and such.  The full details are here:



I know some people are bothered by clowns, and I apologize--I really, really hope nobody on either blog site is, but just in case, I'm going to mention it in the comments as a trigger warning.  I am not someone scared of them.  In fact, I love them, and they've always made me laugh, happy, or feel for them (if they were sad clowns, I always wanted to befriend and hug them as a kid), so I felt they fit the themes of dealing with your "heart," as well as "happiness," at least for me.

Below is my double submission, "Clowning Around!"


So.  Onward:  Creative Tuesdays and "Everyday Happiness."

Clowns and old illustrations of them have always made me smile.  As a child, I loved the circus the few times I got to go.  I've unfortunately realized as an adult they are problematic, especially for the animals and elephants )-,:  But that said, I love circus art (as well as Merry-Go-Round art-- they seem similar to me for some reason), and old Victoriana illustrations showing happy dancing elephants and bears, and the clowns who love them.  They come out a lot in sketches I do, even just as side notebook doodles, which I'd say makes them in the category of "everyday happiness" for me, because I end up drawing them quite a lot.  

Also, ink drawing is something I do every day (or almost every day, time and comfort level depending, given muscle stuff and the need to rest).  Even if on a given day I can't draw, I always look at either my own books, comic books, or the Internet at ink drawings.  That gives me everyday happiness.  Line work, shading, and any kind of image you can make with ink also give me everyday happiness.  Art and drawing keep a vital (metaphorical, anyway) part of my heart going, which leads me into...

Inspiration Avenue and "Art With Heart."

The piece I'm submitting has the character framed in a heart, as well as little hearts hidden throughout her face and hair.  As I mentioned before, as a kid (and still), clowns are something that have always made me happy, and thus, touched my heart.  I never saw them as scary, but just as playful and silly.  I love Halloween, and so the fact that there were people who got to wear silly costumes, makeup, and wigs year round, seemed really cool to me.  I have always loved silliness and puns, so the sight gags were something I appreciated-- as well as the stories they told.  Sad clowns made me feel sad too, and I always wanted to give them a hug or befriend them.  They touched my heart in a different way.  In any case, because they have affected me metaphorically, and because my piece has hearts framing and hidden in it, I thought it fit the Inspiration Avenue theme as well.


Well, now that I've officially hit the "tl;dr" mark (Internet Slang for "too long; didn't read," heh), here are some useful links for those interested in submitting to either one of these wonderful forums, or checking out the links posted there!


To submit to this week's "Creative Tuesdays," and "Everyday Happiness," please submit your link at:

http://creativetuesdays.blogspot.com/2012/05/healthy-montage-and-new-theme.html#happiness

        To submit to this week's Inspiration Avenue, and "Hearts," please submit your link at:

http://inspiration-avenue-team.blogspot.com/2012/05/art-with-heart.html

Thanks for reading, and hope everyone's weeks are full: both of "heart," and every type of "everyday happiness" there is (-:

9 comments:

Betsy said...

haha...this was fun. And yes, that's what clowns are supposed to do...bring happiness! :) It's amazing how many people don't like them. My sister and I had a painting of a clown in our room when we were young. She was terrified of it! And she was older! ha.

Wanda said...

I think Happy when I see a clown. There was a very beautiful but sad song called "Send in the Clowns"

I like your entry, and it did make me smile. It's the creepy horror movies with clowns that I think scare some.

oceangirl said...

This is no ordinary artwork, I see emotions in her eyes.

Christine said...

I love your thoughtful clown piece, no apologies necessary here!

MMm.. said...

Yes, clowns are odd , aren't they? A walking contradiction for many. Anyway, well drawn, Donna, as always.I love your colour but your ink drawings are great too, as are your consistent write ups. TY.

BTW, officially, our CT's are for our co-op only, not shared with any others out there but will let you off this time. :)

Do, you know, I actually knew a real live professional clown, growing up? Michael Balfour. He was one of my mother's friends. I think you can find him on wikipedia actually.

Alicia C said...

love the clown!! I also am one of the few who actually likes clowns - i love yours, so delicate and pretty!

Fred Rutherford said...

That is a great write up and I love the drawing, has a real sense of time in it. Great post. Thanks

craftydvl said...

Eep! Mister Toast, I am very sorry. I will not make the mistake again, and I am grateful for your being kind and understanding about it. I tried to figure out a way to split this into two blogs that would properly link each of my original posts on each forum back to the new blog, but I was not technologically savvy enough to figure it out )-: In any case, Mister Toast, I am glad you liked the work still! And everyone, I appreciate the kind words tons :-D I do have some friends who are legit. scared of even friendly clowns, hence all my warnings, but I'm glad nobody here seems traumatized :-D Hugs and good wishes to everyone art-ing and blogging out there!

craftydvl said...

Also, Mister Toast, I had heard that name before! I looked Mister Balfour up. That is very cool :-D Did you keep in touch with him after the fact? I am very intrigued by this news. Small and fascinating world we all live in <3