Wednesday, March 7, 2012

"You've Got Mail," For "Inspiration Avenue"

This week's topic for I.F. is "Mail." My illustration shows somebody reading some.

My submission shows someone reading opened mail in the foreground. She's got mail, and she's not too pleased about it. And, while it's not shown, perhaps the two in the back met online. Which would count as an email exchange? A la, that Rom-Com "You've Got Mail?"

The woman closest to us is thoughtful, for whether she received that letter days ago, whether she is about to send it to someone who doesn't suspect it, or whether it is a painful correspondence she has chosen to keep for years (as evidenced by her taking of her ring while reading), there is a somber feel to the scenario.


The title of this piece is "All I Want For Christmas." Usually for I.A. I submit things that are cheerier, but even in submitting something like this that's sad, I hope someone can find inspiration in i: whether in the happy couple in the background, in liking ink drawings, in enjoying stories no matter the content, or in making up a story in his or her head, that the thoughtful and sad woman in the foreground will ultimately open another letter, be reminded of happier days, and smile-. Perhaps in some future, un-drawn, drawing, she will be full of happiness and what she might have wanted for Christmas. In any case, downbeat nature aside, I do hope it can bring some enjoyment to whoever sees it.


To see more of my Black and White Work/Ink Drawings, please go to:

And because I don't want this illustration to get anybody down, I am including a link to a video of happy and fluffy things:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWDc9oyBj5Q

10 comments:

Jennifer McLean said...

I really love your submission to my mail art challenge in IA. Your drawing totally makes one think and wonder about the letter the older woman is holding. It's really quite striking, so well rendered.
Thanks for submitting!
Best,
Jenn of www.JustAddWaterSilly.com
(member of Inspiration Avenue)

Diane ~ said...

Donna, you're right it is a rather somber piece, but so very thought provoking! :) I LOVE the way you did the older woman's shirt! wonderfuly done! and i keep wondering about the woman, perhaps her children won't make it home to visit this year...
looking forward to your next challenge entry! :)

Tracey Fletcher KIng said...

This is really evocative... might not be cheery but it packs a real punch and I love that... great job...xx

Anne said...

Very strong piece, an evocative contrast of happy and sad, black and white, beautifully rendered. <3

Magpie said...

There are so many possibilities of interpretation in this! The woman in the foreground seems so distressed, you can't help wondering what it is about. I love art that makes you contemplate things like this. I think it is an old love letter from her husband, who is deceased, and she has decided it is finally time to take off her wedding band and move on. She's unhappy now, but in the end it will be for the best.

Terrie said...

It's beautifully drawn; the shadows in particular are just great. Who says all art must be bright and colorful and cheery? Sometimes it's nice to see a piece that's more quiet, somber, thought provoking. Great job!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I learned last week that every bit of art has a story, whether it is fun, sad, pensive, thoughtful, joyous, or depressing. I found this piece to be ALL of the above. I can envision all of these because the art reminded me of a photo in an undergraduate psychology book that had a caption asking for the emotion that was being conveyed by the photo. To my surprise, the photo appeared to be one of rage and anger, where in truth, it was one of elation and joy. So a picture can be anything you want it to be, and I liked all your ideas for this one.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Your work always shows such amazing detail! I like the contrast of the the emotions in your piece.

Ariel said...

Great take on the theme. Love your drawing and yes, even I'm thinking what message did the old lady get to make her feel so sad.

artangel said...

Wow a very interesting and powerful piece - the expression on the woman's face speaks volumes. I really want to know what the letter said and how this story ends!