Friday, December 30, 2011

Creative Tuesdays: Twelve Days of Christmas (Four Colly Birds)

First of all, lots of Holiday and Good Future Tidings to everyone!

I was late this week on Creative Tuesdays, but it turns it has been postponed another week! I am very grateful and excited to get to partake in it one final time for two-thousand-eleven (I felt like typing that out; and no, I am not sure why).

So, I am lucky, and still get to submit. Below is my piece:


The theme was to illustrate one of the days featured in the "Twelve Days of Christmas" song, and so I chose Day Four.

Day Four is often misheard as "Four Calling Birds," but in actuality, it is "Four Colly Birds." Which means Blackbirds. And so, I have two Christmas Angel Characters, playing with Heavenly Colly Birds. Since they're a happy couple, I thought it would also fit with the part of the song that says, "My true love gave to me," etc.

I thought it would be fun to give them clouds and fluffy happy things to fly about in, particularly since (as I understand it, given the old nursery rhyme with the "four and twenty black birds" lyric) back when the song was first written, Colly Birds were often given as a food item for pie. I wanted to create a Christmas illustration where the Colly Birds had a chance to celebrate the holiday, especially since they have a whole verse of a song dedicated to them.

To submit (rush rush, you have until January third with the pushed back deadline!) for the Creative Tuesdays "Twelve Days of Christmas Challenge", please go to the most recent link at:
http://creativetuesdays.blogspot.com

Full directions as to how to pick a song verse and properly illustrate it are here at:
http://creativetuesdays.blogspot.com/2011/12/mistletoe-montages-and-new-theme.html


In closing, I am really grateful to have stumbled upon Creative Tuesdays, because Mister Toast runs a great ship, which is co-captained by the many great artists who submit to the blog. There are always fascinating themes, multiple interpretations, inspiring art, and positive energy from everything I read and experience through this forum. Tuesdays are a day to look forward to (-:

So, thank you Mister Toast, thank you artists, and thank you everyone, and I hope you all enjoy the rest of the year <3

8 comments:

Betsy said...

Wow..very interesting about 'calling' and 'colly' birds. And nice artwork, too! Happy New year!

Wanda said...

Great art, and a history lesson too. That was really interesting about the colly birds. I think there are lots of deep meanings behind the 12 days.

Heather said...

hi!
So cool - i loved learning that they were "colly" birds...Love the black birds!!!
happy new year to you!
xo

(Queenmothermamaw) Peggy said...

Now that is creativity. Didn't know that story though. Thanks to you.
QMM

MMm.. said...

Aw, that is a really lovely post and sentiment. TY!!! And, Donna, I loved learning about the Colling Birds! So very interesting and LOVED LOVED reading about why you illustrated it as you did. That is particularly rewarding as your art is so descriptive and interesting. It always tells a story which I truly find inspiring.

Janet Dibbydabby.com illustrator said...

I love this image and the story behind it, I think you interepreeted it beautifully and captured so much of the essence of the song.

Jennifer McLean said...

really nice, I especially love the deep red. Nice to meet you, by the way.
I'm Jenn

Dina Thanki said...

Well, you learn something new everyday! I didn't know it was colly birds thought it was just calling. Lovely illo.