Monday, October 10, 2011

Fear for Inspiration Avenue

So, "fear" is a very appropriate for Halloween topic. For this I.A. I am submitting a clip from a page in the comic story I contribued to the anthology, "Samurai: The Graphic Novel."

Instead of being about "Fear" in the sense of "OMG! SCARY! THINGS POPPING OUT FROM BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, SCREAM!," this is more about a person realizing their worst fears.

I won't spoil too much of my story, but a central theme of it is of fear being realized. The fear that no matter how much a person tries and goes above and beyond for the love of another, it may not make a difference and perhaps never have meant anything in the first place.

Fears and phobias are quite difficult to deal with, but in some ways self-deception, putting up with things that one knows deep down are not right, and the realization of things that a person hopes against hope to never come true are in many ways more frightening. Hence this submission, and the perhaps slightly offbeat interpretation of the theme.

I will say that for anyone who likes to be scared in the more traditional sense of the word, there are definitely other stories in "Samurai: The Graphic Novel" that are suspenseful, more traditional in content to Samurais, and have definite scary moments!

Here's some more preview pages from the whole book and via the publisher's own Shopify page if anyone's curious:
http://tinyurl.com/samuraiOGN

And for fellow artists who like to read I.A. or want to submit, here's that link this week:
http://inspiration-avenue-team.blogspot.com/2011/10/weekly-challengefear.html

Thanks for reading, and hope this October week is a "Boo-Tiful" one for you all! Yes, as a punster and lover of Halloween, I had to go there.

7 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My thinking is more along your same lines, Donna. That internal fear that is hard to define because it doesn't jump out at you. I like your unique take on this theme.

Tracey Fletcher King said...

I love your take on the theme and the work is great as always. I love that you have put so much thought into what you are sharing with us....thanks

New End Studio said...

I like the interpretation, the diminishing, and the brokenness.

priti.lisa said...

This is the kind of thing I was hoping for Donna, it is honest and really wonderfully done♥

IM GIRL said...

You NAILED this one! Great job!

gemma said...

I thought that realizing our fear would be worse than fear itself. However you are right. The added "stuff" we bring to our fears are always worse.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Very thought provoking entry!