Saturday, September 24, 2011

"Keys" for Inspiration Avenue

As someone who loves music and used to play quite a bit of it (alto sax for five years, viola for seven, and piano for six-- I miss playing, and my younger days of band and orchestra rather dearly, to be honest), I love to draw lots of music-y things in pieces and cards.

So, for the I.A. prompt of keys, I had to submit this card in which this boy and girl are seated upon a drum that's placed upon Piano Keys!


I also figured that the treble clef shows the key of the songs they're playing, which adds to the theme. In any case, it's a fun challenge, and it will be very exciting to see what other people come up with! Keys are such an inspirational thing to think about, not only for music-- but in terms of opening doors, having a key to a new life, a new world, and many possibilities (-:

This was also a cool prompt because it reminded me of how much I miss playing music. I rented my alto saxophone for so many years I ended up owning it, and I still have it-- a prompt like this is a good reminder to go back to pick it up and get back in the swing of practicing.

I love music, and was doing it pretty seriously from elementary through the beginning of high school. I obviously changed gears somewhat, and am focused now more on art and writing (and sometimes theatre)-- although I do sometimes wonder what would have been if I had stayed with the world of music, more than the world of art/cartooning/illustration.

It's not always necessary to choose, though-- and as I said, owning an instrument is a great incentive to get back to playing it (-:

Now for some links:

To see other cards alongside this one at my site, please go to:

To see other I.A. submissions for this challenge, please go to:

Other I.A.-ers and readers, how many of you chose piano keys for this challenge, and have played music yourself? I am interested if anybody has stories in this realm!

Hope everyone has been having an inspirational week! Inspiration unlocks the "key" to art creating-- had to get a pun in there, although I'm not quite sure it counts as a pun because it is only a tiny bit of a word play, and more of a very true statement :-p

4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your choice of using the piano keys is brilliant. And it's nice to read another person misses their music, too. Great IA entry.

artangel said...

A painting full of life and music - fabulous submission! :)

Stephanie Mealor Corder said...

I LOVE all the movement this has, and I also think it's great how you repeated the lines of the keys in her stockings- GREAT job!

Tracey Fletcher King said...

I like the line repetition also... very musical and great fun. I am really enjoying your blog and love your take on the IA challenge... you can tell I am completely music playing illiterate, because musical keys didn't even occur to me!!!