Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Inspiration Avenue and Web of Whimsy: Patterns, and Villains going Ker-Plunk!

I am a huge lover of patterns, so this is a fun challenge for "Inspiration Avenue!" Also, as one of the characters in my piece is having a hissy fit and jumping up and down, he is going "ker-plunk" which each stomp of his feet. So, it works for "Web of Whimsy," as well.



I've submitted a piece I did for a "Harry Potter" themed contest, but I put my own spin on it. Combining old fairy tales with "Harry Potter" (pretty much a new fairytale in and of itself, with all the lessons it teaches and magic inherent in it), I decided to go with "Rumpelstiltskin." The name of this piece is, "Is Your Name Volde-Stiltskin?"

When I created it, to give it an old timey feel, I spent quite a bit of time mapping out the patterns of the various bricks present in the walls. I also made a point of patterning the floor with Owl-esque tiles (in commemoration of Harry's beloved Hedwig), and while not exactly a pattern, I had to repetitiously draw the spools of spun gold.

In the original "Rumpelstiltskin" story, Rumpelstiltskin loses his bet and is enraged when the girl in the story is able to figure out his name. It's an old fairy-tale, but here's the link if anyone doesn't know it: http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/Rum.shtml

So, as you might have just read, Rumpelstiltskin would have been given the girl's first born child in payment for him keeping her secret-- that she was unable to spinstraw into gold, and that he was doing it for her. But she guesses his name, and he is a sore loser. Hence, him having a manchild fit and stomping in anger through the floor.

In "Harry Potter," you can't say Voldemort's name without fear of summoning him. So, in a weird way, I kind of thought the two villains were connected. Obviously Voldemort is far more powerful and terrifying, but they're each scary in their own way-- and, I had fun combining them.

In this piece, Harry is the Prince the girl has married, Ginny is the girl trying to keep their first born, and the baby they're holding up I suppose would be James, their firstborn. Voldemort is Rumpeltstiltskin. Or, "Volde-Stiltskin." So he's a much smaller, less scary, and angrier version of himself. Normal Voldemort I don't think would ever be caught dead (well, caught dead ever if possible, because eternal life was his endgame-- but I digress) having a tantrum and stomping so vigorously that he'd fall through any kind of floor.

So, anyway, there are my submissions! Now for some links.

To Submit to I.A., please go to:


To submit to Web of Whimsy, please go to:
http://dthaase-lines.blogspot.com/p/whimsical-wednesday.html


To see more Color Pieces on my Website, please go to:
http://drawdvl.com/color-works.html


And lastly, for any fans of Voldy/serious snark, he has a Twitter. Yes oh yes, Lord Voldemort tweets. He can be a bit mean, but sometimes his tweets are just brutally honest and funny. I thought I'd include this bit of internet silliness for any Tweeps or serious "Harry Potter" fans:
http://twitter.com/#!/lord_voldemort7


Thanks for reading, everyone --!!

8 comments:

WrightStuff said...

Fantastic imagination. Wonderful illustration!

Judie said...

I love your illustration! And the connection with Harry Potter is very clever!!!

I hope you will check out my entry for Whimsical Wednesday.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Visiting from IA--very clever piece!

dthaase said...

what a fabulous post - so glad to have it in the whimsy mix...great stuff

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm not familiar with Harry Potter (yes, I must live in a cave), but I do know the story of Rumpelstiltskin. I was especially impressed with the bricks and floor patterns. I could tell you put a lot of detail into this wonderful work of art. This is a great IA entry.

Kat W said...

Great imaginative piece & I love the floor tiles and details on their clothing. Intricately beautiful.

Kat X

Joni Nickrent said...

Beautiful illustration...perfectly whimsical and wonderful! Popping by from PopArtMinis

Jehanne's doodles said...

What a super illustration. Love all the detail in it.