Monday, August 29, 2011

Creative Tuesdays: The Ideal Coffee Break

Hello, C.T.-ers! This post is a little more tongue-in-cheek/offbeat humor than I think I've posted, ever, for Creative Tuesdays. I think it also may be the first ever etching I have posted. But, as I felt this etching was very much on theme, I hope everyone will bear with me! It is meant to be funny and lighthearted, and to pay homage to an animal I discovered a bit of time ago. This animal is cute, yet used for something interesting and a little strange. So goes my disclaimer, I suppose.



This etching is called, "Queen of the Kopi Luwak Cats."

I made it after I discovered what the Kopi Luwak Coffee was, and what Asian Civet Cats were, and how these animals are used to make Gourmet Coffee. Don't worry, the animals themselves (cat/lemur like creatures, like those from Madagascar, although these "Cats" live in South and Southeast Asia) are not hurt in the process. But how people use the Asian Civet Cats and their natural goings-on to make coffee is bizarre (although still apparently hygienic), and the resulting coffee is considered so gourmet it is literally thirty dollars a cup.

I won't go into details, but anyone who is interested can Wikipedia search it. For now, I wanted to post my etching showing these cats, and their Goddess of Coffee. She dresses in it, lives near trees that pour it, hangs out with "Kopi Luwak Cats," and her hair perhaps is made of leaves of that very same plant! Must be very energetic where they all live, with all that coffee making and sipping. Although she is playing and being silly, so she is getting to enjoy her Ideal Coffee Break as their Queen. The Kopi Luwak making Cats are still hard at work.

To submit to Creative Tuesdays, please go to the most recent entry on Mister Toast's Blog at:
http://goodteatoo.blogspot.com

To see other etchings I have done, and to see this one at the source, please go to my website at:
http://drawdvl.com/etchings-and-linocuts.html

And on this fabulous topic of coffee, yes please! I am a very big caffeine, tea and coffee-- but very often coffee-- person.

19 comments:

Catherine... said...

Great post.... interesting... :)

Betsy said...

Oh now that is very interesting. I'm afraid I might be better off not knowing exactly how those cats are used to make that coffee. lol. Lots of detail here...that must have taken ages!

linda said...

What a fabulous etching, with so much detail. I love all the cups you have incorporated. Interesting facts about these cats!

Dina Thanki said...

Im Wiki-ing that, its cool info! Love the etching too looks fab!

craftydvl said...

Hee, yes! I understand anyone who doesn't want to Wikipedia search the details, although they are alluded to in the drawing. The lives of these little creatures are quite fascinating, though. Here's a picture of one of the real life Kopi Luwak Cats. Technically, they are Asian Civet Cats (I'll go back and edit this in the blog), but their coffee is called Kopi Luwak Coffee. They're cute creatures, methinks:

http://bit.ly/r2pbDD

Thank you, everyone, for the kind and supportive comments! (-:

laurie said...

you know I saw this on Tv and I have admitt its a little disturbing,, I drink tea.Your etching is beautiful and if the cat poop coffee is good well bravo for them,, to each his own but I think the cats are having the last laugh

craftydvl said...

@Laurie, yes it is a bit disturbing! It's funny but also very, "Um... what?? Really???" It seems like something that wouldn't be real, but is. The whole concept did give me the idea for the etching, though, so in that sense I'm glad it exists? Ha ha! The Cats do get the last laugh I suppose, probably climbing trees, gossiping to each other, and rolling their eyes at humans and their odd habits.

I myself drink Coffee and Tea, but I'd never drink Kopi Luwak Coffee. I don't really trust it to be safe (even though they claim it is), and anything that's thirty dollars a cup really is too much-- no matter how it's made, and especially in this case.

Christine said...

this is a unique cup of coffee, what else can I say? Truly original coffee break!

Wanda said...

I do believe you have the most creative mind of all of us!!!

This is so interesting...

(Queenmothermamaw) Peggy said...

This is adorable. I heard about that coffee. Very talented work.
QMM

dthaase said...

fun post

Terrie said...

What a detailed etching - that's a heck-a-lot a coffee!

Tiffany Duffy said...

Now I've seen everything! Thanks for my morning google search :)

Beautiful etching - so much detail!

Christie, Describe Happy said...

Your etching is just lovely! I can't believe all the details that you achieved! Wonderful!

lissa said...

strange but intriguing creation, is all I can say.

Mmm said...

wow, that must have taken you yonks, Donna! Very good indeed. Now, be sure to add "ideal coffee break" to the title or somewhere in the text as that is the theme. I suppose you really love this coffee so that will work. Must say I have never had it but the drawing evokes a jungle vibe I like very much.

Details behind the coffee very intriguing too actually.

Mmm said...

I LOVE the way you've drawn that coffee cup btw. :)

Mmm said...

never tried etching--woudl love to one of these days. So permanent though! :)

craftydvl said...

Mister Toast, thank you for your kind words and sorry for any confusion! I always thought of the girl as being on some kind of break since she's playing, even though the cats are working. I've fixed it, both by fixing the title and explaining what I just said above in the text of the blog. I do really love coffee, so glad it works! :-D And yes, etching is a fantastic medium.

It can be hard, because getting access to a press usually means taking a class, but it's very much worth it! Community Colleges and City Art Centers are generally good places to take great yet affordable classes. Anyway with etchings (and printmaking overall) you learn all sorts of things, carving metal, dipping the metal into acid to get different effects, running the ink over the print, and then putting it through the press.

So, yeah. I love many forms of printmaking, and etchings and linocuts are two of my favorite things to do. I'm obsessed with line detail, which is something you get to do a lot of when etching (-:

And yes, etching is quite permanent, since you make the plate and then you get to make more than one copy of it --!! Always an adventure to see how your final inked print eventually will emerge.