Sunday, June 12, 2011

NOZOMI Recap

On Saturday June 11th, I and several other artists participated in a show to benefit Japan called NOZOMI: Hope for Japan. The show was a success, with people coming out to look at and buy the art, or watch the many performances, and a successful bake-sale, with the proceeds of every sale made going to Japan for earthquake and tsunami relief. So, thank you, to people who came out to help! :-D

It was held at the Pacific Winds Sculpture Garden in Long Beach, which is a hidden gem. The garden is tucked away in a residential area. But once you find it and come inside, you find that it's got a nice variety of plants, really fun sculptures, and a very peaceful atmosphere. The garden definitely reminded me that I need to get on visiting other gardens around the area (like the Huntington Gardens) as well as gave me impetus to make sure to check out botanical centers and gardens when in other cities (still kicking myself for having not gotten to the Japanese Tea Gardens every time I've been in S.F.!).

Here are a couple of photos of the garden and the NOZOMI show itself.


This sculpture is super cool. I like that this guy is standing on his head! Props to this sculpture's composition, since I don't think I had ever before seen a sculpture when someone was not posing in at least a quasi-traditional way.


The NOZOMI bake sale table, above... NOM NOM NOM. The cupcakes and cookies were delicious! And for a good cause, so, double win.

This is a quick picture I took with my phone of the piece I donated to the show. Hard to read the artist's description, but...


I'll include it here, under a closer shot of the drawing:

"Waiting" is a spot illustration that depicts a girl and her mother (and their cat) sitting inside from the rain. Both the girl and her mother are pensive, although the girl seems more worried while the mother is happier (the cat is just inquisitive, as kitties tend to be). The mother is pregnant-- perhaps why she is happier. The girl, on the other hand, may be afraid of how things will change once she has a new sibling-- perhaps she won't have as much attention focused on her. She may worry that things will be harder for their family with the change, or she may be worried for her mother's health. Perhaps she is just feeling gloomy because it is so cold and wet outside. But overall, the drawing is meant to convey a sense of positive things to come. Life is full of uncertainty, but beautiful things can still come out of dark and scary places. While the girl thinks of all the things that could go wrong, perhaps she should look at things in a different way-- hopeful that a new person in their lives could make things better and brighter, even with all the difficulties that will come with it. I submitted this piece to NOZOMI as the overall theme of the show is about hope, and because I wanted to submit an illustration that would give others hope in looking towards the future, even when the present is very foggy.


These next sculptures were cartoony favorites of mine. Smiling ants! Brightly c0lored, smiling ants! It was like playing with gigantic Pixar characters, come to life! Except, you know. They could only stand there and smile, and not actually talk or move.

I tried to imitate the shocked expression of one of the ant sculptures, but the sun was in my face and it didn't quite work. Fuzzles Koala had to put up with my silliness ;-)


Shocked! Shocked I tell you!


I hugged one of the smiling ants, posing for a photo with Fuzzles Koala. I really was quite obsessed with these sculptures.

A group photo of the ants.

And, that sums up my photographic chronicling of NOZOMI.

Again, many thanks to anyone who made it out and was able to help with any kind of donation!

No comments: