Monday, May 23, 2011

Purple and Green :: Inspiration Avenue Edition

For this week's "Inspiration Avenue," the theme is Purple and Green. So the illustration I am including is one where those are the two dominant colors. Also, this one will hopefully appeal to fans of Audrey: be that Hepburn, or the gigantic Venus Fly Trap (slash, Alien) from "Little Shop of Horrors."

(Image had to be removed, but will be put back up soon!)

The title of this is "Breakfast at Audrey's," and it's a Pen and Ink with Watercolor Illo. Basically, Audrey II is trying to glam out with diamond necklaces a la those from "Breakfast at Tiffany's," and Audrey (as well as Cat) are not entirely amused. As I am a fan of both Audreys, and know a lot of people especially love Audrey Hepburn, I feel the need to give a disclaimer: Audrey II is simply being fashionable!

She is not trying to eat Audrey Hepburn, Cat, or any of the other plants in this picture, for that matter. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and that is all Audrey II is doing.

As I like creating funny/punny/quirky illustrations that combine characters that wouldn't per se go together, I had fun combining unexpected Audreys.

To see more Color Works I have done, please go to:
http://drawdvl.com/color-works.html

To submit to Inspiration Avenue's "Purple and Green" Challenge, please go to:
http://inspiration-avenue-team.blogspot.com/2011/05/weekly-challenge-purple-green.html

Hope everyone's having Inspirational Weeks (-:

8 comments:

Jo Murray said...

I feel compelled to scream (as at the pantomime) "Audrey, Audrey... look behind you!!!!"

craftydvl said...

Aw, she is safe though! Audrey knows who else is in the scene. She is kind of looking at Audrey II periphirally (and also giving her a bit of a side-eye), and while she is not in danger, she is also not entirely pleased at her style being copied ;-)

Amanda said...

What a fun piece. The creation of all the elments is very nice, really like the colors and design on Audrey II.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love how you combined two disparate images/concepts to turn Audrey into a slightly desired Venus Fly Trap. Too cute.

priti.lisa said...

You have a fantastic imagination and talent as well ♥

Theresa said...

Oh my gosh this is great! One of my all time favorite plays / movies. I have seen it both ways. & Audrey well I love that twist! I love both too. Great job! Theresa

Kat W said...

This is so clever!! I love the way you've combined the two Audreys. And this drawing is wonderful both in talent and imaginative content.
One of my favourites of yours for sure!

Kat :-) X

gemma said...

Cool! Very original.
I like it!!