Monday, May 16, 2011

Inspiration Avenue: Tropical

Loving this theme! Even though L.A. (where I presently live) is pretty desert-ish, it can be construed as tropical what with the palm trees, sometimes balmy winds, and the beach. While it's not at all tropical right now (cloudy and March-y weather, actually), I decided to submit a tropical themed piece I have: "Everything's Coming Up Frida."

I was inspired by a real life church in Downtown Los Angeles for the church, and the rest of what inspired me was from Frida Kahlo herself, who is one of my favorite artists. I did this piece for a Frida themed show at a gallery/resturant out in Topanga Canyon. I figured this piece would fit the challenge, given the content, colors, and that Frida herself used many tropical themes in her own work.

Speaking of inspiration, I am on break from one of my jobs, which is teaching cartooning to kids. Last day of the term (sad), but the kids seemed happy. It's been nice, especially since so much else has been busy and/or stressful lately. Anyway, I gave the students pens as end of term gifts to encourage them to draw, which they seemed excited about. Yay! But I must rush as my next class is soon. Then, I am off to meetings, and perhaps to see a play with a friend. Exciting times
:-D
Also, all the anecdotes I've just shared are random, and not really related to the theme of all things "Tropical." That said, as all that was cheery and I felt inspired by something, I felt I'd share. As, of course, this is "Inspiration Avenue!"

To submit to I.A. this week, please go to:

http://inspiration-avenue-team.blogspot.com/2011/05/inspiration-avenue-weekly-challenge.html

To see more color works I have created, please go to:
http://drawdvl.com/color-works.html

Hope everyone is feeling tropical and sunny, even if it is cloudy where-ever you may be (-:

10 comments:

Grannie Annie said...

Bold bright and beautiful a wonderful picture of the tropics...excellent artwork Donna!!

Terrie said...

So colorful and definitely tropical feeling. Interesting style that leaves room for each viewer to find their own point of reference. Lovely.

Magpie said...

I think L.A. qualifies as the tropics for our purposes! Any place with palm trees... :)

This is wonderful, with so much to look at, and definitely a lot to think about. I love your Frida!

Stephanie Mealor Corder said...

I LOVE your take on the theme and the way you incorporated Frida is WonDeRfUl!

priti.lisa said...

I am in love with this work, Donna! I am Frida's biggest fan and I love the way you have done her...fabulous! I also enjoyed your ramblings ☺

priti.lisa said...

I am in love with this work, Donna! I am Frida's biggest fan and I love the way you have done her...fabulous! I also enjoyed your ramblings ☺

IM GIRL said...

Who would think? LA and Tropical?
Love Frida of course and some great thinking outside the box! Awesome!

IM GIRL said...

LA and Tropical? who would think it?
Love Frida, that's a given and some GREAT thinking outside the box!
Very nice submission!

Sorry if you got this twice, my computer and I are having a moment.

XO

gemma said...

This is great! Love the colors and details.

helena said...

love all the details and the unexpected fatory in the background