Monday, January 24, 2011

Inspiration Avenue: Broken, Torn

First off, lovely, melancholy challenge this week! I love the description for this: "When you think of all the things that can be broken, from hearts to cities, it's no wonder creative types are always wanting to make something from the pieces.

I just finished this piece, and felt it appropriate for the Inspiration Avenue theme of "broken." It's called "Oil and Water."























I am going for the metaphor of "broken" here rather than actually breaking something to make art. That said, creating this picture made me think of either incompatible people smothering one another (yet breaking one another down emotionally, so each feeling "torn"), a person's own duality causing them to fracture in their mind (a la "Black Swan"), or even oil and water itself-- substances that, when mixed together, don't exactly "break," as they're liquid-- but they bubble in and out, they separate, and they can never properly mesh together.

I suppose that it's a nice thing that something broken-- either in physical pieces, or an experience or memory in a person's mind, or even a thought that can't be reconciled-- can result in artwork. It makes such things make more sense, and not feel like they were for naught.

This piece and more of my colored pieces can be seen here on my website:

To submit, and to see people's links to their submissions for this week, please go here:

As always, thanks for the challenges (-:

6 comments:

bluegiraffe said...

Your artwork for this theme is quite dramatic, and I really like the thoughts you wrote in your posting.

Carola Bartz said...

Great work, and I like what you wrote.

Magpie said...

I love this piece, I can definitely see the 'oil and water' concept! Great idea for the challenge!

IM GIRL said...

I love the torn and broken concept in your piece. We often emerge better people and much wiser after we have been torn and broken.
Deep insight into this challenge :)

Judy Goddard said...

The duality of one person with mutliple sides, That what this says to me. I've been fascinated by the idea of multiple personalities all of my life.

priti.lisa said...

I love your thoughtfulness.
Your words and your art are a joy.
xox