Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sculpey creatures

I'm going to force myself to go to a cafe and work, now that the L.A. rain seems to have either let up for good or be in its storm's eye. Left to my own devices in my quasi-messy room, I will sit around and do research online for work I have to do, but then it'll quickly turn into my reading blogs, articles, surfing CNN, then moving onto ONTD and Dlisted, and wasting time.

I retract that. It's never a waste of time to read, especially current events, but I would like to draw and do have to get some work done too. For some reason, I tend to zone out online less when I'm out of the house, even with my laptop computer in front of me. My room is a good work space when it isn't disorganized, but it is right now, so I'm going to head out once I post.

I mostly post about/do drawings, but I also make and sell sculpey toys, jewelry, and other things. Below is a photo of a bunch of Sculpey things I created, on the table of a fair I showed at a while back:


Sculpey is a really cool material. Kind of like Fimo, but for some reason I've always found Sculpey more pliable. Polymer clays, which both Sculpey and Fimo are, look like modeling clay, but you bake them in the oven and then they're hard afterwards. Sculpey also makes a new "eraser" clay, which actually erases after you bake it! I'm a big fan.

Anyway, I've created an Etsy, but haven't updated it yet. Shame, shame. I'll do it! I really have to. For now, though, here is the first place I will show some photos of my sculpey critters, magnets, toys, etc. I took these at February's Art Park in DTLA, where I had a table.


Above is my little sign, with the company name for my wares/work--I'm obsessed with drawing rotund, flying kitties with wings. In fact, I created a character called "The Flying Witty," and there's a cartoon of one, hovering out. c. 2008 on that creature, because I heart flying witties and they are all mine! (I know that sounds really insane and like I'm the "Wicked Witch of the West's" weird art-chick cousin, but moving on...)


Here's an ornament! For Christmas trees, or to hang anywhere on a nail in your house really. He's my anime-styled tiger/kitty creature. I think his eyes are pretty cool.


This little bear is wearing rain boots and a rain hat. I almost wrote rain slicker, but then I remembered a slicker is an actual coat, which this guy does not have. He is a magnet.


Here is another little polar bear/wintery ornament. I ultimately didn't sell him, but gave him away as a birthday gift! I thought he was fun to make, he was like a snow-bear.


Here's a little toy I made. She's a ballerina elephant.


A toy sculpture of a "flying witty!" Sadly, he looks less thrilled than the drawing of the one on my sign.


Here's an eraser! He's a koala, based on a toy I have named Fuzzles. Fuzzles appears in a lot of my work, because I'm secretly five and believe that my toys come to life and have parties at night. Especially Fuzzles. He's the ringleader of the parties.


Another work based on Fuzzles! This one's actually a magnet.


An ornament of a ladybug who is heartshaped. And smiling quite widely.


I have a thing for pink elephants. Here are sculpey toys I made of two pink elephants, attached a the hip. Quite literally, since they were sculpted as a unit.


Lastly, more sculpey pink elephant toys! These guys are also a literally attached couple, but they have the added difference of being Salt and Pepper shakers. In appearance only; they're not hollow and can't hold condiments. But I think they're fun all the same.

Hope anyone who might happen by here likes the critters :-) Now off to get ready/be useful. Here's hoping.

No comments: