Friday, May 8, 2009

Draggin' along

"The White Fire Of Guilt," c. 2008

"Dragon Dance," c. 2008

"Yang," c. 2008

I should warn everyone that I really, really, really like puns. I wrote my college entrance essay on telling terrible jokes, all the time, and how much I enjoyed doing so... and included several bad jokes in said essay... and somehow, was still admitted!

Point being, that in two out of these three pieces, there are dragons. Hence my silly post title.

The first one I did after reading a poem about Indonesia that really struck me. I don't recall if it was formally published or not (a former teacher of mine gave it to me from a book she'd found), but it was talking (basically) about the dichotomy of poverty and riches in Indonesia, especially with tourists being in the latter category. There was a line about the tea being made with fire, and the whole passage made it abundantly clear how difficult and painful it can literally be to farm the tea, while the people who drink it just kind of sit around comfortably, without consequence. I wish I could find it to explain it better, but the drawing I did will have to suffice as my interpretation and explanation.
The second one is called "Dragon Dance," and I guess I was on a roll since I did it shortly after the previous piece, and after pouring through some magazines with tons of pictures of Indonesian dancers, sculptures, and architecture.

The third one was in the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery Juried Exhibition last August. I was excited to get to be part of it, and I was also excited that a happy piece of mine got in! I do some stuff of an upbeat nature, although a lot of it tends to be dark. Anyway, the piece is called "Yang," so it's about happiness and the good half of the entire Yin/Yang phenomenon.


Anyway, I know in a fair amount of stories dragons can be evil or a foe to overcome, and in some songs they're (questionably) stoned-- but in my case, I just hope they seem merry and fun.

No comments: